Nominations are closed. Questions can be sent to Mike Colwell.
Best of the Midwest pitch candidate nomination process and requirements:
Up to ten companies will be invited to pitch at the 2018 Best of the Midwest Angel Investor Conference on September 19 and 20 in Des Moines Iowa. We anticipate funding between five and ten companies based on the presentations delivered at the event. A panel of three judges will make the final decision on which companies will be funded. We anticipate a fund in excess of $350,000 will be raised as a result of this event. Accredited individual investors and seed funds will be in the audience and will be looking for investment opportunities outside of the fund investment.
- Nominations open August 1, 2018
- Nominations close September 4, 2018 at 12:01am CDST
- Public announcement of selected companies will take place on a rolling basis starting in early August and end on September 8. The earlier the nomination the better. 3 to 5 slots will be held until September 4.
- Selection committee review process begins August 13 and ends on September 12
- Notification of investment will be made at the close of the pitch event on September 20, 2018
- Notification of amount of investment in each company will be made on or before October 30
- Funds disbursement on or before November 30
- Company must be located in the midwestern United States
- Company must be actively raising capital during the period August 1 through October 30
- If selected, company must keep $100K minimum of round allocation open for the Best of the Midwest Fund
- If selected, company founder(s) must attend the Best of the Midwest meeting and present in person. One free event ticket and one hotel night will be provided by Best of the Midwest. Travel and all other expenses are the responsibility of the company.
- The company must have a lead investor term sheet in place. Application must include a copy of the term sheet and commitment level. Actual funds invested is preferred over hard commitment of funds.
- Funds must be utilized exclusively in product development, marketing, and sales and may not be used to pay off existing debts
- At least one majority owner-founder must be US citizen or Permanent resident
- Founders are committed full-time to the company
- Founders have invested their own funds in the company
- Demonstrable product-market fit, and growth potential must be clear and well supported
- Preference will be given to companies who have revenue from customers
- All companies must be nominated by an angel, seed fund, or VC. A representative of the nominating entity must attend the meeting in Des Moines on September 19 and 20 and introduce the company during the pitch event.
- Applicant company information will be available only to selection committee members
- Companies selected to present agree to having their Gust profile shared with all interested accredited investors
- Company must not have participated in non-accredited crowd funding
- Companies chosen to attend will be notified on or before September 8, 2018